Faculty Frequently Asked Questions


Q: How do I access my class roster and class location?
A:  You'll be able to locate these items on my.fordham.edu.  Approximately 3 weeks after you have filled out your new hire paperwork, please contact IT at 718-817-3999 to receive your login instructions.  Please note that class locations and rosters are not finalized until just before the semester begins. 


Q:  Is there a shuttle service between the Rose Hill and Lincoln Center campuses?
A:  Yes.  The Ram Van runs between both campuses.   The website for more information is here.  The fare is $3.00.

Q:  How do I order books for my class(es)?
A:  The Fordham Bookstore information is located here and instructions for ordering are hereAccess the Rose Hill Ordering Form. Access the Lincoln Center Ordering Form. Some instructors choose to support independent bookstores or use Amazon. If you choose one of these options, make sure to have readings available online or as handouts for the first couple of weeks to allow students some time to buy their books.

Q:  Who are the campus secretaries?
A:  An English Department contact list is located here.

Q: Can I get a photocopy card?
A:  Yes, your campus secretary should have one for you.  It works in the departmental machine and in those in the library.

Q:  My copy card has run out; how do I get it refilled?
A:  The secretaries send empty copy cards for refilling once a week; it then generally takes a few days to get them back.  If your card is running low, please plan ahead and submit it only when it is empty; any unused copies on a card sent for refilling will be wasted.  Meanwhile, you can borrow a departmental copy card from the secretaries but PLEASE return it immediately.

Q:  How do I get access to my class lists, student emails, etc?  Can I set up a site for my class(es) on Blackboard?
A:  You can access class lists, student emails and Blackboard groups for your class(es) via your Fordham IT login by going to https://my.fordham.edu

Q:  Whom do I contact about my contract or if I have a change of address, home phone, etc?
A:  Human Resources at 718-817-4931

Q:  Whom do I contact about a problem with my paycheck?
A:  The Payroll Office, at 718-817-4960

Q:  There's something wrong with my Fordham email or office computer; how do I get help?
A:  Contact the Help Desk at 718-817-3999

Q:  A student wants to add my already-full class; what do I do?
A:  Please don't sign an ADD/DROP slip or send the student to the Dean's office.  Only the Associate Chair for undergraduate studies can add students to full classes.  Normally, we will try to place the student in another (not full) section.

Q:  How do I address problems with the class list or student registration for my class?
A:  Contact the Enrollment Services group at: 718-817-3900

Q:  I have to cancel class because I'm sick; whom do I notify?
A:  Please contact your campus secretary.  She will arrange to have a notice posted outside your classroom door.  Note:  If your class meets at 8:30 am, she may not be available by that time.

Q:  What if I have conference travel plans or an emergency and I have to rearrange some class meetings?
A:  First, try to arrange an exchange with another instructor, so she or he will cover your classes and you can cover his or hers at some other time.  If this is not possible, please work to reschedule any missed class meetings.  Please note that you may only rearrange up to 2 class meetings maximum.   

Q:  Can I allow someone to  audit my creative writing workshop class?
A:  As creative writing classes are workshop/studio classes, audits are not possible.

Q:  Can an adjunct or Writer in Residence faculty member direct internships or course tutorials?
A:  Only full-time faculty members and Writers in Residence can direct these.

Q:  How do I plan my syllabus when students are adding and dropping my class during the Add/Drop period?
A:  During the add/drop period, we have to give grace on assignments to students that add in.  They are exempt from what they have missed (or, can be asked to make up what they have missed).  However, after they add in, you should feel free to enforce the dictates of your syllabus.


Prospective Graduate Student

Frequently Asked Questions

More information can be found on The Graduate School of Arts & Sciences (GSAS) Admissions and English Graduate Program websites.

Do you accept students in both the fall and spring semesters?


Applicants interested in funded positions--including all Ph.D. positions and funded M.A. positions--must apply by the January deadline for Fall admission. 

Applicants to the M.A. program who do not wish to be considered for financial aid may apply for Spring or Fall admission. For Fall admission, the submission deadline without financial aid consideration is in April.

Please see the GSAS Admissions or the English Graduate Program for exact dates. 

Do I need an M.A. to apply for the Ph.D. in English at Fordham?

An M.A. in English is required for acceptance into the English Doctoral program at Fordham.

Are all Ph.D. students fully funded? What about M.A. students?

Yes, all Ph.D. students receive a full funding package for up to five years of doctoral study. After the fifth year, Ph.D. students are eligible to apply for a number of distinguished fellowships and for a teaching associate position. A limited number of funded positions are available for the two-year M.A. program.

Can you tell me more about the funding package?

The funding package includes a tuition waiver and a stipend of $21,800 per year (as of 2012). Stipends for doctoral students who are awarded one of the university’s Prestigious Fellowships range from $25,000 to $28,000. Summer research support, dissertation-year fellowships and research assistantships are also available on a competitive basis. For the first two years of their funding, doctoral students work as Graduate Assistants and begin pedagogical training. After that period, doctoral students work as Teaching Fellows for up to three years and are funded for in their fifth year as students for the summer.

Can I study part-time?

Students receiving funding (all Ph.D. students and some M.A. students) must study full-time. Unfunded M.A. students may study part-time.

When should I take the GRE?

Take the GRE exam at least one month prior to the application deadline to ensure timely receipt of scores by GSAS Admissions. Our GRE school code is 2259.

What are the average GRE scores of admitted graduate students in English?

The verbal score range for the entering 2008-2010 cohort was 570-680. For relationships between 800-point scores and current 170-point scores, see ETS's GRE concordance table. For more information on selectivity, see GSAS Admissions.

What kind of writing sample and personal statement should I submit? What other materials are required for the application?

For information on the writing sample and statement of intent, see the Application and Admission Requirements page.

What is the placement record for graduates of Fordham's Ph.D. program over the last five years?

Fordham implements a rigorous job market preparation program, and the results can be seen in our placement record. Please see the English Ph.D. Placement page for details.

Current Graduate Student

Frequently Asked Questions

My student loans have come up for repayment, but I am still in graduate school. What do I do?

To be certified as part-time or full-time--and thereby defer their student loan repayments--students must be registered for their program's half-time or full-time courseload each semester. Students taking less than the full-time or half-time courseload for their program must complete the matriculated student status certification form. For more information, please see the GSAS Policies and Procedures handbook, Section 5.2.

I took a course in the History Department but it's not showing up on my DegreeWorks. What do I do?

To receive credit towards the English degree for a course that is not cross-listed with English, students must submit a departmental waiver form.

I have heard about area reading groups; how do I join one?

The area reading groups are posted on the bulletin board. If you are a new student, please complete an orientation form that will tell us what group you would like to enroll in. If you would like to change the group(s) in which you are enrolled, please email the graduate administrator for enrollment in your choice of groups. We encourage all students to get involved and be a representative for one of the area reading groups during the course of their studies. Reading groups are re-organized at the beginning of each academic year and usually begin activities towards the end of September.

I'm not taking any course work this semester but I will be using University resources. Do I need to register?

Yes; students in GSAS need to maintain continuous enrollment when they will be using University resources. A pre-Comps student in this situation would register for Comp Prep, and a post-Comps student for Dissertation Stage Proposal. 

I am an M.A. student finishing my coursework in the Fall semester, and I plan to graduate then. What steps do I need to take?

M. A. students must first check their DegreeWorks records to ensure all requirements for graduation will be met by their prospective graduation date. Then they must apply to graduate through the my.Fordham portal. Students will enter the portal, and under My Information, click Banner Self-Service, then Student, then Student Records, and select a term.

Can a course I took during my master's studies at another university be applied toward an area requirement at Fordham?

For approval to apply previous coursework at another institution toward an area requirement at Fordham, students must complete the departmental waiver form and submit it with required materials to the Graduate Administrator. Once the Director of Graduate Studies has approved the waiver, the change will be reflected in DegreeWorks.

I already speak fluent French. Do I still need to complete a course or an exam for the Ph.D.?

Students who believe themselves to be competent in one of the accepted languages may take Fordham's competency exam to fulfill their language requirement. (A grade of B or higher on the exam is required.) Otherwise, students should enroll in one of Fordham's zero-credit language courses to fulfill the language requirement. Grades for language exams and zero-credit language courses are not calculated as part of a student's GPA, and a failure to pass the language exam is not recorded on a student's transcript.

I am getting married and wish to change my name with the university. How do I do this?

To notify the university of any change of name or address, students update their personal information via the my.Fordham portal. In addition, students receiving a stipend must submit a Personal Data Change form to Human Resources.

How do I request a copy of my transcript?

Contact Enrollment Services for more information at 718-817-3000.

Undergraduate Frequently Asked Questions

How do I declare a major and what are the course requirements?

  • Email your campus Associate Chair to set up a meeting to discuss declaration of major.  You can find the list of contacts here.
  • Fill out the Contact Information form for majors located here and bring this to your meeting with your campus Associate Chair.  Course requirements are here.

How do I declare a minor and what are the requirements?

The minor in English consists of any six English courses beyond the freshman-level core English requirements (ENGL 1102 and ENGL 2000), one of which may be a sophomore literature course and at least four of which must be literature courses. Courses in which a student receives a D or F will not count toward the minor.

  • Email your campus Associate Chair to set up a meeting to discuss declaration of major.  You can find the list of contacts here.
  • Fill out the Contact Information form for minors located here.

How do I declare a creative writing minor and what are the course requirements?

For English Majors

The Creative Writing minor for English majors allows a student to take 4 creative writing classes.  This increases the total number of required courses for the English Major from 10 to 14. A typical course of study for this option is:

  • 1 Theory course
  • 3 Pre-1800 courses
  • 4 Creative Writing courses (at 3000 level or above).  For policy on cross-listed Communications writing courses, click here.
  • 6 Literature Electives (At 3000 level or above.  2 of these courses may be Cognate Courses.

For Non-English Majors

The minor in Creative Writing, available to students in majors other than English, will consist of:

  1.  Four (4) four-credit courses which must be drawn from 3000-level and above English Creative Writing courses.  For policy on cross-listed Communications writing courses, click here.

Independent studies, approved by the Director of Creative Writing, are also accepted.  

Please note:  Students minoring in Creative Writing may count no more than 2 courses [or 8 credits] applicable to the Creative Writing minor for their major.

   2. Two (2) advanced courses (3000-level and above) in Literature offered through the English department. Cognate Courses (3000-level and above) and meeting literature requirements in the Classics department, the Literary Studies program or the Modern Languages department may be utilized to fulfill this requirement.

How to Declare Creative Writing Minor

 Fill out the "Intention to Declare CW Minor" form located here.

Contact your class dean (for example: the LC Associate Dean for seniors) for permission.

How many creative writing courses can apply toward the English major?

English majors may take up to 2 creative writing courses (in place of electives). A typical course of study for this option is:

  • 1 Theory course
  • 3 Pre-1800 courses
  • 2 Creative Writing courses (At 3000 level or above)*
  • 4 Literature Electives (At 3000 level or above.  2 of these courses may be Cognate Courses.

*Students may only count one of the following courses toward the Creative Writing requirements for the English major and the Creative Writing minor

  • COMM 3081: Interviews and Profiles
  • COMM 3084: Writing for Magazines
  • COMM 3405: Screenwriting I

Students may count the following class up to 4 times toward the Creative Writing requirements for the English major and the Creative Writing minor

  • COMM 2211:  Journalism Workshop

Should I take the theory course first?

First, there is no fixed rule. You can take it first, last or anywhere in between.  We recommend you that you make theory your second, third or fourth course in the major.  Sections are offered every term.  The Comparative Literature Theory course also counts for this requirement.

Which pre-1800 courses should I take?

First, this is NOT a requirement to take any specific courses, but a distribution requirement designed to ensure you study a range of literary texts in your major. Second, don't treat this like a core requirement you have to check off. Depending on how one counts, there may be three or four times the number of centuries of English literature before 1800, and this period includes authors most English majors are happy to study, including Chaucer and Shakespeare.

You could in fact satisfy this requirement by taking three different Shakespeare courses (though that is not the spirit of the requirement). So just pick courses that interest you, with some attention to the history and variety of the discipline you have chosen as your major, and this requirement will take care of itself.

On a practical note, the English Department Courses webpage located here indicates which courses are pre-1800.

How do I get credit for courses I took elsewhere?

The official transcript from the other institution needs to be sent to your class dean. Once the course shows up on your MyFordham transcript, you can take or send the catalogue description (syllabus is better) to the Associate Chair who can tell your class dean whether or not it can count toward the major. (Of course you can go first to the Associate Chair with a description to find out if the course will count before you sign up for it.)  Bring a copy of the Cognate course form for the Associate Chair to sign.  You can access this form here.   You are restricted to two cognate courses during your course of study in English. 

Can I take a course elsewhere in the summer and have it count for my major?

Take the catalogue description of the course to the Associate Chair at your campus for approval before enrolling in the course. You must make sure that the course applies to the major and does not duplicate work you have already completed.  Bring a copy of the Cognate course form for the Associate Chair to sign.  You can access this form here.  You are restricted to two cognate courses during your course of study in English. 

Will I be able to satisfy EP3, ICC and Senior Values with courses that count for the major?

Ordinarily yes, and it should become easier to do so over time as the department brings more of these courses on line.  But these courses have limited enrollment, so looking to sign up early in each registration period and as early as possible in your major, is not a bad idea.  We expect to offer at least one Senior Values course every term.

How do I plan for Study Abroad? 

Before you go meet with your Associate Chair to discuss the classes you are planning to take when you are abroad.  If these classes change once you arrive you can inform him or her through email. For an English major you can get two approved for credit toward the major and one towards the minor.

After you return, make sure your transcripts are sent to the ISAP office. The registrar posts these grades as transfer credit. Make sure that your courses are placed in the proper allotment for Degree Works.  If they are not, please contact your Associate Chair. Notify us which courses should be allotted to the major and the semester in which you took them. We will report this information to the registrar and make sure that they are properly credited.